The emphasis of this course is on the dynamics of security management. This is a much neglected aspect that it is becoming increasingly important.
Security is a highly interdisciplinary challenge, involving Man, Technology and Organization – the famous MTO challenge. Some people would add Economics as a new and important aspect.
Addressing the dynamics of security management provides several bonuses:
- Understand why many managers fail to achieve a satisfactory state of security;
- understand why some important security failures occur as unintended side-effects of management actions;
- and others, such as the increasing importance of employing System Dynamics to manage dynamic complexity.
Foundations – Security standards from the perspective of change and dynamics
Introduction to qualitative system dynamics: Causal loop diagrams; System archetypes
Modelling security management dynamics using system archetypes and causal loop diagrams
Introduction to quantitative system dynamics: Causal structure and dynamic behaviour. Introduction to stocks and flows. Time delays.
Basic system dynamics models of security management.
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
Web-enabled course with forum
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
- Two multiple choice exams counting each 15%
- Two individual projects (papers) counting each 35%
- Each part must be individually approved of
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
Evaluated by the lecturer
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
The whole subject must be repeated.
The course requires active participation in projects – both in class and outside class.
Hands-on modelling exercises during class are best carried out in computer lab.
Students are encouraged to bring laptops to the classroom.
Maani, Kambiz E.; Cavana, Robert Y. Systems Thinking And Modelling. Pearson Education. 9781877371035.
Lectures, exercises and projects by Jose J. Gonzalez in Classfronter