- The candidate possesses advanced knowledge in classical cryptography, as well as fundamentals of stream ciphers, block ciphers and public key ciphers.
- The candidate possesses thorough knowledge about theory and scientific methods relevant for cryptology.
- The candidate is capable of applying his/her knowledge in new fields of cryptology.
- The candidate is capable of analyzing existing theories, methods and interpretations in the field of cryptology and working independently on solving theoretical and practical problems.
- The candidate can use relevant scientific methods in independent research and development in cryptology.
- The candidate is capable of performing critical analysis of various literature sources and applying them in structuring and formulating scientific reasoning in cryptology.
- The candidate is capable of carrying out an independent limited research or development project in cryptology under supervision, following the applicable ethical rules.
- The candidate is capable of analyzing relevant professional and research ethical problems in cryptology.
- The candidate is capable of applying his/her cryptographic knowledge and skills in new fields, in order to accomplish advanced tasks and projects.
- The candidate can work independently and is familiar with cryptographic terminology.
- The candidate is capable of discussing professional problems, analyses and conclusions in the field of cryptology, both with specialists and with general audience.
- The candidate is capable of contributing to innovation and innovation processes.
1. Classical cryptography - history of cryptography, fundamentals of information theory and its application in cryptography
2. Symmetric ciphers - stream and block ciphers
3. Asymmetric ciphers - fundamentals, RSA
4. Hash functions and digital signatures.
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
Skriftlig eksamen, 3 timer
Written exam, 3 hours
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
Evaluated by the lecturer
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
Ordinary re-sit examination.
Tillatte hjelpemidler (gjelder kun skriftlig eksamen)
1. Introduction to Cryptography and Coding Theory, 2. edition, Trappe W., Washington L., Prentice Hall, 2006, ISBN: 0131981994.
2. Handbook of Applied Cryptography, Menezes A., http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac
IMT4531 Introduction to Cryptology
There is room for 50 students for the course.