Research Project Planning
IMT 4421 Scientific methodology
The Pre-project shall prepare the students to complete their master thesis on time, and with the expected quality.
The course contributes towards the following learning outcomes:
- Possesses advanced knowledge within the area covered by the Master Programme.
- Possesses specialized insight and good understanding of the research frontier in a selected part of the topic covered by the Master Programme.
- Possesses thorough knowledge of professional and scientific theory and methodology of relevance to the topics covered by the Master Programme.
- Is able to apply the knowledge and understanding from the topics covered by the Master Programme to new and unfamiliar settings.
- Is able to handle theoretical issues, and solve complex practical problems, independently in the area covered by the Master Programme.
- Is able to use relevant and suitable methods when carrying out research and development activities in the area covered by the Master Programme.
- Is able to critically review relevant literature when solving new or complex problems and is able to integrate the findings into the proposed solution.
- Is able to plan and complete an independent and limited research or development project with guidance and in adherence to research ethics.
- Is able to analyze relevant ethical issues (technological, professional, and scientific)
Having completed the course, the students should have acquired:
- An understanding of academic writing style and documentation structure.
- The ability to formulate a research problem and research questions.
- An understanding of ethical issues in research.
1. Problem description and choice of methods
2. Identifying, collecting and structuring published research results relevant for the project. Use of library resources
3. Project planning
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
There are no lectures in the spring semester.
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
Mid term report counts 30%. Final report counts 70%. Each student must hand in his/her own individual report.
To ensure fairness, course deliverable grading will depend on deliverable quantity, quality and the number of contributing students.
Scores can be normalized at the discretion of the instructor/examiner.
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
Internal examiner will assess the mid term report. The supervisor is required to provide input to the mid term assessment process.
External and internal examiner on the final report.
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
The whole course must be repeated.