IMT4532 Cryptology 1, IMT4552 Cryptology 2, or equivalent
The candidate possesses knowledge at the most advanced frontier in the field of cryptology. The candidate has mastered academic theory and scientific methods in cryptology.
The candidate is capable of considering suitability and use of different methods and processes in research in the field of cryptology.
The candidate is capable of contributing to development of new knowledge, theories, methods, interpretations and forms of documentation in cryptology.
The candidate is capable of formulating problems, planning and completing research projects in cryptology.
The candidate is capable of doing research and development at a high international level.
The candidate is capable of handling complex academic tasks. The candidate can challenge established knowledge and practice in cryptology.
The candidate is capable of identifying relevant – and possibly new - ethical problems and exercising research in cryptology with academic integrity.
The candidate is capable of managing complex interdisciplinary tasks and projects.
The candidate is capable of disseminating the results of research and development in cryptology through approved national and international publication channels.
The candidate is capable of taking part in debates in international forums within the field of cryptology.
The candidate is capable of considering the need for, taking initiative to and engaging in innovation in the field of cryptology.
- Introduction – elements of information theory, general cipher system theory
- Contemporary theory of randomness – randomness and indistinguishability
- Elements of modern symmetric ciphers theory – Galois fields, primitive polynomials, Boolean functions theory, block ciphers theory, hash functions theory
- Public key cryptography – RSA theory, digital signatures
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
Skriftlig eksamen, 3 timer
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
Written exam, 3 hours (alternatively oral exam) (counts 51% of the final mark)
Project evaluation (counts 49% of the final mark)
Both parts must be passed.
Evaluated by the lecturer
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
The whole subject must be repeated.
Tillatte hjelpemidler (gjelder kun skriftlig eksamen)
1. Introduction to Cryptography and Coding Theory, 2. edition, Trappe W., Washington L., Prentice Hall, 2006, ISBN: 0131981994.
2. Handbook of Applied Cryptography, Menezes A., http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac
3. Introduction to modern cryptography, Katz J., Lindell Y., Chapman&Hall/CRC, 2008, ISBN: 1-58488-551-3
Various papers (available on-line)
There is room for 50 students for the course.