- deep knowledge about central questions within the theory of science
- be able to analyze central topics within the theory of science
- central terminology for scientific work
- of tools and methodologis for quantitative research in Human-Computer Interaction
- be able to suggest a topic of investigation within science
- independently be able to make a plan of how to carry out a scientific work
- have competence to search for academic publications using central databases
- be able to facilitate and analyze data from science projects
- have competence to read and analyze scientific publications
- be able to report results from scientific projects, including projects carried out by the student herself
- have developed a clear ethical attitude in relation to how scientific methodology is used
- Introduction to the theory of science
- Characteristics of good research
- Research ethics
- Research as a means of systematic progress
- Quantitative and qualitative research designs
- Characteristics of good research topics and how to create one
- Literature studies
- Choice of methods, including planning and how to carry out and analyze experiments/studies
- Use of research databases for problem solving
- Data analysis and statistics
- Tools for quantitative research of Human-Computer Interaction
- Practical quantitative research project within Human-Computer Interaction, including litterature review and the writing of an "journal style" scientific paper
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
The theoretical part of the course (similar to IMT4421) will be offered both as an ordinary campus course and as a course that is offered in a flexible way to off-campus students. Lecture notes, e-lectures and other types of e-learning material will be offered through Fronter. Communication between the teachers and the students, and among the students, will be facilitated by Fronter.
For the part of the course that is project work it is required that students can meet in groups, and do the necessary data-collection, analyses and writing together.
Skriftlig eksamen, 3 timer
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
- Project assessment (group project) weights 70 % of the final grade
- Theoretical exam weights 30 %
- Both exams need to get a passing grade for the course to be passed.
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
External and internal examiner is used periodically for the theoretical exam, next time is autumn 2015.
Internal examiner for project.
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
Ordinary re-sit exam for the theoretical exam.
Tillatte hjelpemidler (gjelder kun skriftlig eksamen)
- Leedy, P D, and Ormrod, J E: "Practical Research, -Planning and design, 9th ed."Pearson Educational Int. ISBN-10: 0131365665
- Additional handouts and material made available in Fronter.
Credit reduction due to overlapping course IMT4421 Scientific Methodology: 50%