IMT2282 Operating systems
Master students must document that they have achieved learning outcomes equivalent to IMT2282 Operating systems
- Explain how a penetration test is planned, executed, documented and terminated.
- Account for vulnerabilities in general and common services running on internal and external servers for a generic company.
- Predict client side vulnerabilities and use the new methods for security breaches that may occur here.
- Master the most common hacking and penetration testing tools and apply these tools to perform simple penetration testing tasks.
- Carry out structured and effective search for security issues in computer systems and computer networks.
- Construct effective penetration tests given existing threats towards software, networks, and network services.
- Use and abuse access to one system in order to gather more information about the networks and services used by this system.
- Awareness of vulnerabilities in software both at server and client side, with an extra focus on network applications.
- Sensitivity for potential vulnerabilities in the computer systems and networks of a generic company, and ability to make an analysis of potential threats based on a network description.
- Overview of a wide set of tools for testing and accessing systems and networks.
- Ethical hacking and penetration testing – definitions
- Penetration testing methodologies
- Hands-on penetration testing
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
The course will be made accessible for both campus and remote students. Every student is free to choose the pedagogic arrangement form that is best fitted for her/his own requirement. The lectures in the course will be given on campus and are open for both categories of students. All the lectures will also be available on Internet through GUC’s learning management system (Fronter).
Skriftlig eksamen, 2 timer
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
Digital eksamen (leveringsform se tekstfelt)
- Digital OR written exam, (66%), depending on the number of students the exam might be oral
- Project (34%)
- Both parts must be passed
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
Evaluated by internal examiner. External examiner is used periodically (every four years, next time in 2014/2015).
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
- No re-sit examination – projects and exam are closely connected and related
- New project(s) and exam at next course dates
Tillatte hjelpemidler (gjelder kun skriftlig eksamen)
One or two approved exercises, further information announced at course start.
Engebretson, P. (2013). The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing 2nd Ed.
Regalado, D., Harris, S., Harper, A., Eagle, C., Ness, J., Spasojevic, B., Linn, R., Sims, S. (2015): Gray Hat Hacking The Ethical Hacker's Handbook 4th Ed.
In case there will be less than 5 students that will apply for the course, it will be at the discretion of Studieprogramansvarlig whether the course will be offered or not an if yes, in which form.
There will also be an upper limit to the class based on available laboratory resources.