Colour in medical imaging
IMT4072 or other colour science/colour imaging course
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define colour characterization methods for a range of medical capture and display systems
- Describe the problems that may be encountered in characterizing medical colour imaging systems, and potential solutions
- Describe methods of calibration for medical imaging devices
- Evaluate the calibration of a medical imaging system to appropriate international standards
- Generate and evaluate characterization transforms from raw capture RGB data
- Calibrate medical displays for primary reading and secondary viewing environments
- Generate and evaluate ICC profiles which encode characterization transforms for medical imaging systems
- Evaluate and apply guidelines for clinical photography
- Generate images with embedded colour transforms
- Determine appropriate preference renderings for different medical imaging modalities
The aim of this course is to provide an opportunity for students to apply colour imaging science to a range of different imaging modalities in the medical field. With reference to current and emerging international standards and best practice, students will gain a competence in the techniques required to successfully calibrate different types of medical capture and display systems, and understand some of the particular problems of this field. They will also learn how to encode transforms that convert source images to an appropriate reference colour space and present the resulting images on medical-grade displays.
- Calibration and characterization of medical image capture systems
- Camera RAW characterization for medical capture
- Calibration and characterization of digital microscopy images
- Calibration and characterization of medical displays
- Medical display use cases: grayscale, pseudo-colour and true-colour
- The Gray Scale Display function and its applications
- The MedicalRGB reference encoding and colour space
- The Colour Standard Display Function for medical displays
- Multispectral imaging in medical systems
- Encoding and interpreting colour images using the DICOM format
- International standards governing colour in medical imaging
- Applications of preference-based rendering in medical imaging
- Issues with imaging on mobile devices
- Image processing for pseudo-colour images
- Effect of colour device accuracy on the accuracy and efficiency of medical diagnosis
- Requirements of clinical photography
Coursework projects will focus on a sub-set of these topics
Pedagogiske metoder (fritekst)
Remote students are able to participate through on-line access to lectures and other resources, but will need access to specialist equipment to complete the assessed coursework. Students are able to access specialist equipment for the course by appointment.
Vurdering av prosjekt(er)
Students will undertake an individual coursework project on a selected topic on colour in medical imaging, and provide a written rationale, description of methods, analysis and discussion of results.
Bokstavkarakterer, A (best) - F (ikke bestått)
One internal examiner
Utsatt eksamen (tidl. kontinuasjon)
Re-submission of coursework project
Improvement of grade
Students who wish to improve their grade in the assessment shall present themselves for reassessment.
Students are required to complete a coursework project.
This course requires access to specialist equipment and hence students will need to be physically present for lab sessions, particularly those relevant to their selected coursework project. Students are able to access specialist equipment for the course by appointment.
In addition all students are required to attend project briefing sessions at the beginning of the course. The exact times of these sessions will be announced before the start of the semester.
Green, P. J.. (2010)Color ManagementNY: Wiley
Colour Engineering, P. J. Green and L. MacDonald, Wiley (2002)
Color Medical Image Analysis, M. E. Celebi and G. Schaefer, Springer (2013)
This course is a mandatory course in the COSI programme.
In case there will be less than 5 students that will apply for the course, it will be at the discretion of Studieprogramansvarlig whether the course will be offered or not and if yes, in which form.